I needed a program to take a GEDCOM family tree file, and remove the
dates for everyone execpt those who have been dead for more than 20 years.
Reason being is to protect the privacy of family members in the
redistribution of the family information. For people who have passed away
within 20 years, the year of their death is displayed to signify their
I wrote my own program in Perl to do the modification.
You may take
a copy for free.
While looking over my GEDCOM files which I have, I found
this tree of the keyword data.
You'll need to have Perl installed, it is available for almost
every platform. Run the program like this:
date-remove.pl myfamily.ged modified.ged
I located several other similar program on the net. Why this one?
Runs on almost any platform (because of Perl); no need to have
VBRUNDLL or any other ms-windows packages; it's free; source
features / limitations
- it doesn't deal with every possible date item, only
birth date, death date, christening date, burial date
- sensitive information may be available in NOTE fields, which are
not modified by this program
- dates of item change are removed for every item
- wedding dates are also removed if one of the people of the
couple have dates removed
- it does not handle more than one marriage per person. At present it
considers only the fist marriage